Scottish Orienteering Championships
There are several Scottish Orienteering Championship events (SOC) held every year in different regions of Scotland, catering for different types of orienteering. The events rotate around the North, East and West, and are hosted by clubs in that region.
Scottish Orienteering Championships weekend
The biggest event is the Scottish Orienteering Championships weekend, a Scottish sports event which attracts hundreds of competitors each year.
Orienteers enjoy courses with challenging and varied terrain, planned to the highest standards. Hundreds of orienteers compete and there’s no qualification criteria – everyone can turn up and have a go alongside the best runners in Scotland.
2020 Scottish Orienteering Championship Weekend – CANCELLED
The Scottish Championships 2020 weekend has unfortunately had to be cancelled. It was due to take place on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd August in Tentsmuir, Kingdom of Fife. We hope to give an update on plans for 2021 in due course. It would have included:
- Scottish Individual Championships – the climax of the spring season. Its purpose is to determine classic distance Scottish Champions in each age class.
- Scottish Relay Championships – a high level relay competition providing head-to-head racing between large numbers of junior, open and veteran relay teams.
- Scottish Inter Club Championships – provides two team competitions between “Large” and “Small” Scottish Clubs, large and small being determined by the number of entrants in the previous year’s Scottish Individual Championships. The Scottish Inter Club Championships are typically combined with the Scottish Individual Championships.
Other Scottish championships include:
- Scottish Night Championships (SNC) – intended to provide a high level of technical night orienteering competition in Scotland.
- Scottish Sprint Championships (SSPC) – provides a championship at sprint distance orienteering. Sprint orienteering tests rapid decision making while running at close to full speed.
- Scottish Middle Distance Championships – provides the opportunity for fast, accurate orienteering over a moderate time period. Its purpose is to determine middle distance Scottish Champions across several age classes.
- Scottish Score Championships (SSCC) – provides good quality age-based competition with the score format. The event will normally take place at the end of the year, the score format meaning that competitors spend a well defined time in the forest.
Scottish Orienteering Championship Rules & Guidelines
Rules and Guidelines for all championships can be found in our Resources Section.
Previous Scottish Championship weekends
Scottish Championships Rota
|2024||North Area||INT||West Area||West Area||TBC|
|2023||East Area||INVOC||North Area||North Area||TBC|
|2022||West Area (STAG)||SOLWAY||East Area||East Area||TBC|
|2021||North Area||TAY||West Area||West Area (STAG?)||TBC|
|2020||East Area||MAROC||North Area||North Area||TBC|