Scottish Orienteering Championships
There are several Scottish Orienteering Championship events (SOC) held every year in different regions of Scotland, catering for different types of orienteering. The events rotate around the North, East and West, and are hosted by clubs in that region.
Scottish Orienteering Championships weekend 2019
The biggest event is the Scottish Orienteering Championships weekend, a Scottish sports event which attracts hundreds of competitors in May each year.
Orienteers enjoy courses with challenging and varied terrain, planned to the highest standards. Hundreds of orienteers compete and there’s no qualification criteria – everyone can turn up and have a go alongside the best runners in Scotland.
The Scottish Championships 2019 weekend will take place on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th May in Dumfries and Galloway. It includes:
- Scottish Individual Championships – the climax of the spring season. Its purpose is to determine classic distance Scottish Champions in each age class.
- Scottish Relay Championships – a high level relay competition providing head-to-head racing between large numbers of junior, open and veteran relay teams.
- Scottish Inter Club Championships – provides two team competitions between “Large” and “Small” Scottish Clubs, large and small being determined by the number of entrants in the previous year’s Scottish Individual Championships. The Scottish Inter Club Championships are typically combined with the Scottish Individual Championships.
Other Scottish championships include:
- Scottish Night Championships (SNC) – intended to provide a high level of technical night orienteering competition in Scotland.
- Scottish Sprint Championships (SSPC) – provides a championship at sprint distance orienteering. Sprint orienteering tests rapid decision making while running at close to full speed.
- Scottish Middle Distance Championships (new for 2019) – provides the opportunity for fast, accurate orienteering over a moderate time period. Its purpose is to determine middle distance Scottish Champions across several age classes.
- Scottish Score Championships (SSCC) – provides good quality age-based competition with the score format. The event will normally take place at the end of the year, the score format meaning that competitors spend a well defined time in the forest.
Scottish Orienteering Championship Rules & Guidelines
SOC Rules & Guidelines
|SOC Rules & Guidelines 2017||Scottish Orienteering Championships (Individual) Rules & Guidelines||34.95 kb||20||30-08-2017||DownloadPreview|
|SRC Rules & Guidelines 2017||Scottish Relay Championships Rules & Guidelines||58.91 kb||18||30-08-2017||DownloadPreview|