Saturday 22 September
We all know that orienteering relies hugely on members as volunteers for so many aspects of the sport, so it’s only right that we should acknowledge your dedication and commitment, and help you gain and develop the skills that particularly interest you. Since 2013 we’ve been running Volunteers’ Weekends roughly every couple of years, and feedback from each has helped us refine subsequent offerings.
Feedback from last year’s Volunteers’ Weekend indicated that it served an important social purpose as well as the opportunity for people to learn new skills and brush up on existing ones. However, enthusiasm was somewhat dampened by three significant factors:
- holding the weekend in a 6-Day year seemed to put extra pressure on volunteers’ time and availability
- the cost of a residential weekend at Glenmore put some people off
- with the BASOC WOLF/SOL the following weekend, some people were not keen on making the same long journey on two consecutive weekends.
We will therefore move the main Volunteers’ Weekend to even numbered years, and this year we will hold a single Volunteers’ Day. This will be held at Kinnoull, near Perth, on Saturday 22 September, in the hope that many people can combine it with their journey to BASOC’s SOL the next day.
Our initial intention is to offer 2 main workshops, each lasting 2-3 hours, covering topics that will be particularly relevant for officials taking on 6-Day roles:
- Organisers’ workshop chiefly for people with some experience of smaller events but who are new to organising larger events.
- Planners/controllers’ workshop again chiefly for people with experience of small events, but new to the 6 Day working environment, or indeed anyone who would like a refresher or update.
For both of these, we will invite along a few experienced people to share their learning and wisdom from large events.
- We will also offer a Coach CPD session and the opportunity for a run and to receive some coaching.
There will be no charge for attendance at any of the workshops; tea/coffee and an informal buffet lunch will be provided.
For those unfamiliar with Kinnoull, it is a lovely area of woodland near Perth, used in the 6 Day Event in 2009. The FCS “classroom” provides an informal setting for workshops and has a covered outdoor space which is ideal as a coaching base. The indoor space is, however, limited so we can only have one workshop at a time.
Booking is essential, using the Wufoo form.