New Post Available: RDO West
**New Position Available: RDO West**
Come join our small, friendly and committed team as we seek a Regional Development Officer to provide support for our clubs in the West region.
Scottish Orienteering Regional Development Officer : West Region
Contract available: 2 days per week on a 2 year contract.
Place of work: Central or West based working from sportscotland offices on a hotdesk basis or from home. This post will offer home working but there will be a requirement to attend National Orienteering Centre based at Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore for staff meetings and training. This role will require travel, the successful candidate must have access to their own car.
Remittance: £18,000-£22,000 FTE dependent on experience. Home-based staff will be given contribution towards phone and internet costs.
Application Closing Date: Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found. Applications should be made by submitting a CV and covering letter outlining suitability for the role to Should you wish to send a written application please send to National Orienteering Centre, Glenmore Lodge, Aviemore, PH22 1QZ. Please allow adequate postal time to allow us to consider your application by the closing date.
Work with clubs to increase participation and club membership in line with SOA targets;
Support clubs to achieve a mark of accreditation;
Promote, publicise and market the sport of orienteering.
- Support SOA clubs to enable them to create and deliver a Development Plan with the aims of increasing participation and club membership, and achieving a mark of accreditation, in accordance with the SOA Strategic Plan;
- Identify potential focus clubs that merit closer support to deliver membership growth by ensuring sustainable enhancements to capacity, governance and school-club links, which might include the appointment of a Club Development Officer;
- Facilitate the dissemination of best practice amongst clubs;
- Scope out opportunities for development projects and productive partnerships, such as with other sports, outdoor groups, school networks, trusts and agencies;
- Maintain a comprehensive, relevant knowledge base, including being a point of contact for Community Sports Hubs, Active Schools and funding streams;
- Support clubs to carry out an active advertising campaign for local events with schools, parent groups and other community groups who might be attracted to orienteering;
- Maintain close contact with local media, invite them to significant events/activities and regularly submit articles to their publications; maintain a social media presence;
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation of programmes to demonstrate achievement in growth, working closely with the COO, Coaching & Volunteer Officer Manager and Development Director;
- Undertake other activities as directed by the SOA.
Regional Development Officer: Person Specification
The SOA is looking for an enthusiastic person who meets the following criteria:
- Highly motivated and able to work both in collaboration with clubs and independently;
- Understand the role of professional staff within a membership-driven and substantially
- volunteer-run organisation;
- Have a friendly, responsive and professional attitude towards SOA members, and
- members of the public and agencies enquiring about orienteering in Scotland;
- Have a full current driving licence and appropriate insurance;
- Have good basic IT skills;
- Live, or be prepared to live, adjacent to the areas of work;
- Be able to work flexible hours, if required.
- Hold a relevant sports development qualification;
- Have working knowledge of the sport of orienteering;
- Have good project management skills.
This post would suit a motivated individual passionate about driving forward development within the sport of orienteering.
Should you have questions about the role please do contact