Focus Clubs Initiative
Is your club ready for fast-track development?
The SOA Development Team will always work to support all SOA clubs (large, small, in-between, University…). In March 2017 we launched our new Focus Clubs programme which is aimed specifically at open membership clubs who feel really ready to embark on a programme of bold, ambitious change in order to grow and strenghten their membership. All open SOA clubs are now eligible to apply for additional support.
Here’s what’s on offer:
• Enhanced support from your Regional Development Officer (either Johannes or Rona)
• Assistance with achieving a minimum of sustainable 10% membership growth in 2017
• Part-funding from SOA for employment of a Club Development Officer specifically for your club
We currently have capacity to support eight Focus Clubs throughout Scotland. If you’d like your club to be part of this exciting programme, there are a number of criteria which we’ll be using to select the eight clubs. Clubs will need to meet, or show that you’re willing to work towards, the following criteria:
• First and foremost, readiness to embrace change
• Willingness to commit club funds to contribute to costs of employing Club Development Officer (with remainder of funding coming directly from SOA and third parties – e.g. sportscotland Direct Club Investment)
• Take part in a club accreditation scheme
• Up-to-date Constitution & robust Development Plan
• Membership of at least one local Community Sports Hub
• Willingness to contribute to open map sharing – publicly share 3 quality club maps for use by anyone with interest in orienteering (subject to sensible restrictions to protect access)
• Modern & effective membership communication systems
To express interest please contact Rona Lindsay at or Johannes Petersen at to start the conversation.