Appointed by: Membership
Period of tenure: Three years, renewed annually
Reporting: To SOA Board; Annual General Meeting
- Guide and oversee the affairs of the SOA
- Be the “public face” of the SOA
- Through delegation, drive the development of the sport of orienteering in Scotland
Duties and Responsibilities
- Chair all General Meetings of the SOA.
- Chair Board meetings as required (minimum 3 per year).
- Deliver and maintain the SOA Strategic and Annual Plan’s objectives and metrics.
- Promote orienteering in Scotland.
- Promote and administer the rules and policies of the SOA.
- Take responsibility for the SOA’s Equality and Diversity Policy and act as its Champion
- Uphold the charitable aims of the SOA.
- Recruit Directors, Co-ordinators, Volunteers and Professional staff to conduct the business of the SOA.
- Take an overarching role in the direction and management of the National Centre and Professional Staff.
- Deliver the financial management of the SOA’s affairs.
- Ensure that annual reviews and funding bids are submitted appropriately.
- Communicate with the membership and clubs via a regular article in SCORE and other media as appropriate.
- Ensure SOA communicates with the wider audience through its website and other media.
- Seek the views of the membership and clubs and consider all views equally.
- Liaise with British Orienteering and review their meeting Minutes and Committee activity regarding matters pertinent to the SOA.
- Develop stakeholder liaison, especially with sportscotland, Event Scotland, the Scottish Sports Association, environmental bodies and land owners.
- Represent the SOA on the Scottish Orienteering 6-Day Event Co, Ltd.
- Manage media interest in the SOA and its activities.
- Present prizes and awards, including the President’s Medal.