Appointed by: SOA Membership
Period of tenure: Annual; renewable in accordance with SOA Articles
Reporting to: The SOA Board
Provide strategic leadership and have oversight of the day-to-day events and activities of the SOA and its affiliated clubs in the sport of orienteering in Scotland.
Highlight to the SOA Board any operational opportunities or risks.
Act as a Trustee of the SOA Charity.
Specific duties and responsibilities
- Liaise with SOA staff, especially the Events Manager and Education Officer, to ensure the delivery of:
- Appropriate land access for the development of orienteering
- Procurement and management of mapping and maps as relevant to SOA
- Procurement and management of any equipment required for SOA activities or events
- Procurement and management of electronic systems as relevant to SOA
- The practical delivery of international and GB events in Scotland
- Recruitment and training of coordinators and support volunteers to assist at activities and events
- The implementation of the British Orienteering Rules of Orienteering.
- In collaboration with The Fixtures Secretary and the Competitions Convener:
- Ensure an appropriate annual programme of fixtures and competitions across Scotland
- Uphold the aims and objectives of the SOA Charity.
Pro-forma for reporting
- Future plans, incorporated into the SOA’s Annual Plan.
- Reports to each Board meeting under the headings: points for information, points for discussion and or decision, progress on Actions.
- As and when appropriate, strategic reports to the Board on achievements, opportunities, risks in the area of operations.