Appointed by: SOA Board
Period of tenure: Not limited
Reporting: Regular standard report to Operations Director
- Ensure appropriate controllers are appointed for all SOA events.
- Be the source of accurate information regarding Controller qualifications and experience among SOA members.
- Encourage and facilitate training of controllers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be aware of British Orienteering rules and guidelines regarding controller qualifications.
- Be aware of British Orienteering rules and guidelines regarding appointment of controllers for events.
- Identify controllers for SOA Regional events (SOL etc.)
- Assist as requested in identifying suitable controllers for Level C events.
- Encourage people to gain, maintain and upgrade controller qualifications.
- Inform people of qualification requirements – for maintaining as well as obtaining qualifications.
- Encourage qualified controllers to officiate regularly.
- Keep accurate records of controllers, their qualifications and recent. experience, contact details and known commitments or restriction.
- Report to British Orienteering any additions / changes to Controller grades.
- Circulate, as required, details of qualified Controllers to SCORE and the Website
- Organise controller courses as required.
- Receive and process applications for new and upgraded Controllers; process and communicate appropriately.
- Obtain relevant information from relevant British Orienteering committee minutes.
Pro-forma for reporting (“Nothing to report” is permitted!)
Headings should include:
- Any issues regarding appointing of controllers for events.
- Courses planned/run – number of attendees, costs, any issues.
- Applications for new controllers.
- Applications for upgrading of controllers.
- Any change in numbers of active controllers at each grade, highlighting changes and any areas of concern.
- Any significant changes notified from British Orienteering.
- Any action required from the Board.