Equality Standard award
Awarded Foundation Level for a further three years
The Scottish Orienteering Association has been re-assessed for the Foundation Level of the Equality Standard for Sport, first achieved in March 2013. Once again we have met the necessary criteria, and our award is valid for a further three years (April 2019). We have been praised by sportscotland for our real commitment to equality and taking this agenda forward in orienteering.
The Equality Standard Assessor noted some key strengths:
- The SOA have reviewed their Equality Policy
- The President and Professional Officer oversee equality across the sport and the President’s job description has been updated to reflect this
- A new equality section has been developed for the website
- The Communications Audit has been revisited
- The SOA have a number of programmes that engage different communities, including Trail-O and urban orienteering.
A number of further recommendations have been made, and these will be put to the Board and addressed. The Chief Operating Officer will take over responsibilities for the Equality Standard from the Professional Officer from June 2016.
Read the SOA's Equality & Diversity Policy here.
Read more about the Foundation Level at EqualityinSport.org.