Coach CPD Days for 2014
We are pleased to announce more detail of the Coach CPD days for 2014. Dates and venues are now available for the series of highly practical coaches’ workshops across the country, which will allow us to produce sets of valuable resources for all coaches. Agenda for the last date - 7th December - is now available.
The theme across the series is sharing good ideas and good practice, and we will create resources for use by all orienteering coaches in Scotland. It’s not just the most experienced coaches who have the good ideas – and quite often those folk who do or coach other sports have great ideas that can be adapted for orienteering. These CPD days are intended for all licensed coaches who are SOA members; you will have opportunities to discuss and try out ideas and to create coaching cards similar to those given out at the UKCC courses. So we look forward to using the many and varied talents that orienteers and coaches have, to produce some genuinely useful resources for all of us. There's no charge for licensed SOA coaches to attend the workshops, and copies of the resources will be given to all who help in their production.
Please book before the stated closing date using the booking form; precise venues will be notified nearer each date. We will usually aim to start at 10:00 and finish by 16:00, and to provide hot drinks and a buffet lunch.
Dates and venues:
- Sunday 30th March – Edinburgh – urban orienteering: what skills (technical and physical) are different from orienteering in forest? How can we coach those skills? What resources will help? Local international stars Tessa Hill and Murray Strain provided their valuable input to this session, for which we are most grateful.
- Saturday 12th April – Moray – with Scotjos: opportunity to observe and/or assist with squad training, find out how to gain experience of coaching at this level. Practical session of strength & conditioning particularly for juniors. Agenda now available. (closing date 5th April)
- Saturday 6th September – Grantown - coaching adults: what different approaches and resources do we need? Agenda now available - if you have signed up for the day and not received the agenda by email then please contact Lynne Walker,
- Saturday 20th September – Kinnoull, Perth bookings now closed. Practical coaching particularly looking at maximising the coaching benefit from a familiar area. Agenda now available
- Saturday 4th October – Banchory Guide Lodge, Aberdeenshire Main topic was how to ensure that sessions for juniors are exciting and enjoyable; also some discussion of coaching for urban races. Agenda now available.
- Sunday 7th December – Dalbeattie Venue is the Blair Centre. Agenda now available for download.