Coach Activity Days
As a direct outcome of the SOA Coaching Conference and Coach Update Days (2010 and 2011 respectively), the SOA presented a series of Regional Coaching Activity Days during 2012. These were even more practical in nature than the Update Days, and were held at a variety of locations throughout Scotland. Various outputs from the sessions are now available.
The main aims of these days were:
- working together to improve as coaches, learning from each other
- establish local networks of coaches with neighbouring clubs
- introduce concept of mentoring amongst orienteering coaches
We believe that by meeting these aims we will help coaches to spread workload, gain confidence, exchange good ideas, create new, exciting but manageable sessions. With more cross-club activity you will have a larger pool of athletes with similar needs, thereby increasing the benefit and enjoyment for the athletes.
These regional days were intended for ALL coaches and covered quite general aspects of coaching practice, in line with needs identified in feedback from the 2010 and 2011 conference and update days. In total 38 coaches attended one or more of the Activity Days, thereby earning 3 CPD points and a smart kitbag, and feedback was very positive.
- Aberdeenshire - Sat. 31st March - BENNACHIE Theme: PLANS!
- Edinburgh/East Lothian/Borders - Sat. 21st April - CASTLELAW (in conjunction with event) - Theme: COACHING OPPORTUNITIES AT EVENTS
- Stirling/ Perth/ Fife/ Glasgow North - Sat. 19th May - Cancelled
- Inverness/ Moray/ Speyside - Sat. 7th July - North Kessock/Ord Hill Theme: PLANS (again)
- Glasgow South/Ayrshire/Dumfries - Sat. 15th Sept. - Cancelled
- Dunfermline - Sat. 29th Sept. - Coaching/Training/Instructing and how coaches can share plans and sessions
Downloadable documents include capture of thoughts on definitions, advantages and disadvantages of coaching, training and instructing (Dunfermline); feedback on the sample coaching session (Inverness). Others to follow shortly.